If you are cleaning marble tiling or countertops, you’ll love this elegant natural stone and the way the veining in it creates an impression of movement.
But, especially in the kitchen, it’s understandable if you have concerns over this porous material’s susceptibility to etching and staining.
Here are some hints to help.
- Etching happens when an acidic substance for example lemon juice or tomato ketchup is spilt. If it has not been cleaned straight away the acid will react with the stone’s calcium carbonate, leaving permanent such as dull spots. These marks can be visible if the lighting hits the surface.
- Acidic products such as bleach should be kept away from the stones and don’t use any abrasive cleaning products.
- Using soapy water and a soft cloth will clean your countertop, however any etching or stains on that have diffused through the surface will still show. If you have a glossy effect surface the marking will be more recognised.
- To prevent etching, lightly damp the surface and scatter the marble polishing powder. Work this into the stone until the mark has gone.
- A professional maybe required to remove the marking.
- Seal it up, A spray sealant applied on a monthly basis reduces stains and etching. Stains are bound to occur on a day to day basis. Here’s what to do:
- Water spots and rings can be carefully buffed with dry steel wool
- organic stains (tea, food, fruit, coffee) use a few drops of ammonia and 12% hydrogen peroxide.
- Oil-based stains (like cooking oil and grease) can be cleaned with a gentle cleaner.
- Smoke can be removed with specialist products or ask for professional advice. Rust can be removed with a poultice but these are hard stains to get rid of, and maybe permanent.
- Paint stains, if they are small, can be removed with a lacquer thinning product, or use a razor blade to scrape off carefully.
Looking for marble cleaning in London?
If all the above sounds complicated, and you’re concerned about damaging your marble countertops, we don’t blame you. Some aspects of marble restoration and marble polishing are definitely best left to the professionals.
At Stone Proshine, we offer marble cleaning in London and the surrounding areas. We work to the highest environmental standards, and have many years’ experience across a wide range of premises. With our unique diamond pads, we can remove all marks promptly and safely, giving you peace of mind – and one less thing to worry about.